Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Book Covers


Does perception have a final decision on what we choose?


I have always heard this saying on and on “Never judge a book by its cover.”
To me this means that I should never judge or define someone or something without getting to know them or finding more about them. This time I am going to agree with Chipp Kidd video in “Designing Books is no Laughing Matter. Ok it is,” in which he states that first impressions count so much and that books have a face and need to look like something in order make interest to the audience. So, when I was selecting three books I reflected in each one of them these concepts.
The first one I selected is “The Stories of Vladimir Nabokov,” by Vladimir Nabokov is a fiction genre and was published in December 9th, 1996. This booked called my attention by its layout design done in catchy clear colors: red, white and black accompanied by different font styles; that have a clear size that makes it easy to read. Since each letter is placed in different squares it made me think that this book has different stories that connect to each other or inter weave between them. It doesn’t seem to be like stories that are from long time ago because the letter design is a modern one. The face image of this book is simple but this simplicity makes me want to find out more about this urban stories.



The second book that trapped my attention is “Americas in Paris,” by Adam Gopnik published in March 30th, 2004. The book cover designed as a letter sent by traditional mail, makes me want to know more of what is happening in a certain time; which by the way does not seem to be in recent times. The airplane that is flying away from America toward Paris shows me that the traveler’s route will begin in United States and head to Paris. Personally, I enjoy historic novels or novels that teach me some traditions and customs. Just by the letter design it makes me want to find out the reasons of the voyage. It is as well, a simple design with an elegant and old fashion font tittle that communicates a good, formal and exciting voyage full of experiences. 


My last selection is a fiction genre, “Short Novels of John Steinbeck.” To me is clear that this book is a collection of different novels of Steinbeck. I can see the different novel titles because they are placed on a horizontal way one after the other in different fonts and colors. What is really awesome is that each title has the image design of the book and that makes the reader remember the image novel and recall the stories plot, setting. main characters, climax, among other details.













No comments:

Post a Comment